Saturday, June 6, 2015

Warhammer 40,000 Taxes Due

So it's only been 2 years, and there's a new Codex: Space Marines now available for pre-order.

A lot of people are griping about it.  A lot of people are happy.  I'm going to try and say something different, though I admit I probably won't.

I don't know what's in the new Codex.  It might be totally amazeballs.  It might be the greatest Codex the Space Marines have ever seen.  Not sure when I'll know, because at this point, I don't have a lot of desire to buy it when it drops.

The problem is, more and more I feel like I'm paying to play.  With my other wargames I can stop spending money at any time and still be able to continue to play the game in any venue, at any event.  Not so with Warhammer.  With new codexes/army books/main rulebooks hitting every so often, it's like a gaming tax imposed by Games Workshop.  Want to keep playing?  That'll be $58.00 plus tax, please.  Otherwise you won't be participating in any tournaments or other organized events.

It hurts a little more than usual this time because it's been only 2 years since the last Codex: Space Marines was released.  Presumably this is because it was also only a 2 year gap between the release of the 6th edition main rulebook and the 7th edition.

Is it a huge expense, even stretched over 2 years?  I guess it isn't, but for that same money I could buy units or other models that DON'T come with an expiration date.

Yes, other games do sometimes introduce updated editions of their games.  Infinity is on 3rd Edition, Warmachine, Malifaux and Firestorm Armada are all on 2nd Edition.  I guess my gripe with GW is that their books are MUCH more expensive than the other games, and seem to come out a LOT more frequently.  This is one of the reasons I shrunk my Warhammer collection.  For a time, I had 3 Warhammer Fantasy Armies and 3 40K armies, but that's just too many books to keep up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment